You’re probably wondering what to do if you just received your first DUI in Tampa FL. Even if you have never been charged with a DUI offense, jail time may be an option if you are convicted. You can be sentenced to jail at the court’s discretion. It is important that you retain an experienced DUI defense lawyer who will help you reduce or dismiss the charges against your conviction.
Our experienced DUI lawyer has years of experience and will explain everything you need to learn about getting your first DUI.
Potential Consequences of a Tampa, FL DUI
A Tampa court could impose a six-month jail sentence for a first DUI. Although most DUI offenses will not result in jail time, sentencing will be influenced by the severity of the case and past behavior.
Penalties for First-Time DUI Offenders
- Fines. Offender face a minimum $500 fine and up to $2,000, depending on the aggravating factors. Drivers who are unable pay fines may be granted $10 per hour credit for community service.
- Inability to use your vehicle. A mandatory immobilization period must be imposed on your car for a minimum of ten days. This cannot occur in conjunction with a sentence in jail. A court may grant an exception for a family member who needs the vehicle to work or has no other means of transport.
- DUI school. The judge must impose either Level I or Level II DUI School depending on the severity and nature of the offense.
- Driving privileges suspended. Florida drivers licenses will be suspended for at least six months, and up to one year. After completion of DUI school, drivers may request a hardship reinstatement. This will restrict travel to work or businesses.
- Probation. A judge can order probation for up to 12 months or combination of prison time and probation.
- Community service. For a first DUI, you must complete at least 50 hours of community service.
- Ignition interlock device. Interlock devices must only be used for six months in cases of aggravating circumstances such as a blood alcohol level (BAC) of.15 or more.
- Higher car insurance. A DUI conviction could result in car insurance rates rising by up to 50% over the next few years.
Factors that Make DUI Jail Time More Likely
The consequences of your DUI conviction will be determined by the outcome of your testimony and the facts of each case. The court will likely impose harsher sentences if your DUI resulted in a serious injury or death.
If the case involves:
- Aggravating factors. Florida law permits an extension of the jail sentence to nine months for the first DUI. This is if the offender causes property damage or injury, has a BAC above .15, or has a child passenger in their vehicle.
- Probation violation. If you are already on probation, or have violated the terms following the DUI offense, your jail sentence may be extended.
- Repeat offense. A second DUI offense must be committed within five years or more from a conviction.
How Can I Avoid First-Time DUI Penalties?
To avoid jail time and other consequences for a DUI, you should have the charges against your dismissed. A Tampa DUI lawyer with experience can examine field sobriety tests and breathalyzer results. This could lead to dismissal of your case and the possibility of expunging your record.
You might be able reduce the DUI charge to reckless driving if a conviction is probable under the circumstances. Your criminal record could be sealed if your lawyer negotiates a reckless driver charge and adjudication withheld. This could protect your professional and personal lives from the negative effects of your criminal record.
Importance of Hiring an Attorney for Your DUI Case
If you are facing a DUI charge, hiring an attorney is one of the most important decisions you will make. DUI cases can have serious consequences, including fines, license suspension, and even jail time. A skilled DUI attorney can help you navigate the legal system and protect your rights.
Get Valuable Legal Advice
They can help you understand the charges against you, the potential consequences, and the possible outcomes of your case. They can also explain the legal process and any defenses that may be available to you.
Help You Build a Strong Defense
A DUI attorney can help you build a strong defense by gathering evidence to support your case. They can investigate the circumstances surrounding your arrest, review police reports and video footage, and analyze any witness statements. They may also seek expert testimony from professionals in areas such as toxicology, accident reconstruction, or field sobriety testing to challenge the prosecution’s case.
Represent You in Court
An experienced DUI attorney can represent you in court, which is particularly important if your case goes to trial. They can argue your case in front of a judge or jury, present evidence, and cross-examine witnesses. They can also provide guidance on the best course of action based on the specific circumstances of your case.
If your case does not go to trial, your attorney can still negotiate with the prosecution to try to reach a plea bargain. This may involve pleading guilty to a lesser charge or agreeing to reduced penalties in exchange for your cooperation. An attorney can review the details of any plea agreement before you accept it to ensure it is in your best interests.
Minimize the Impact of a DUI Conviction
They can work to reduce the charges against you or minimize the penalties you face. They can also help you navigate any administrative procedures related to your driver’s license.
In conclusion, a DUI charge is a serious matter and hiring an attorney is a crucial step in protecting your rights and securing the best possible outcome. With their expertise and experience, a DUI attorney can provide you with the guidance, representation, and defense you need to successfully navigate the legal system.
Talk to our Tampa, FL DUI Attorney As Soon as Possible
If you or someone you know is facing a DUI charge in Tampa, it’s important to seek the guidance and representation of a skilled attorney. The Black Law Company has a team of experienced attorneys who can provide you with the legal support and defense you need to navigate the legal system.
Our attorneys have a deep understanding of Florida’s DUI laws and can help you build a strong defense. We can gather evidence, interview witnesses, and analyze the prosecution’s case to identify any weaknesses or inconsistencies. We can also challenge the validity of any field sobriety or chemical tests that were administered and negotiate with the prosecution to try to reach a favorable outcome for your case.
Other Services We Offer:
- CAR ACCIDENTS
- PERSONAL INJURY / WRONGFUL DEATH
- CIVIL RIGHTS LAW
- CRIMINAL DEFENSE
- CIVIL LITIGATION
- TRUST & ESTATE PLANNING
- NURSING HOME ABUSE
- PREMISES LIABILITY & NEGLIGENT SECURITY
- TRADEMARKS / BUSINESS LAW
We understand that facing a DUI charge can be overwhelming, but we are here to guide you through the legal process and provide you with the representation and support you need. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and learn more about how we can help you with your DUI case in Tampa.